The Journey from Chartered Accountant to Terrorist – YAKUB Memon
Yakub Memon has Been Hanged. Here Are 9 Things You Should Know About Him.
Revenge is sweet, but karma is sweeter.
Once named as the best chartered accountant by the Memon community, Yakub Abdul Razzak Memon is the first and only accused in the 1993 Bombay Blasts who has been hanged, on his birthday, July 30 around 6 a.m.
Here are 9 things you need to know about the Mumbai-based chartered accountant.
1. Yakub Memon, one of the six sons of Abdul Razzak Memon, was the most highly educated in the Memon family. He studied from a reputed English medium school, acquired a B.Com degree and then qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1990.
2. In 1991, he set up his own chartered accountancy firm ‘Mehta & Memon Associates’ along with a childhood friend Chetan Mehta.
3. A year later, he set up his independent firm, “AR & Sons”, in memory of his father.He was so successful that he even won a “Best Chartered Accountant of the Year” award.
4. Yakub Memon did his M.A. in English Literature and Political Science in Nagpur jail through the Indira Gandhi National Open University.
5. Yakub’s accounting firm was responsible for maintaining the finances of Tiger Memon’s illegal operations, which included lucrative silver smuggling.
6. Yakub Memon arranged finance for the entire 1993 terror operation and managed the disbursement of the money through co-accused Mulchand Shah, from a firm owned by Ayub Memon.
7. Not only that, he arranged the air tickets for the 15 youths who were sent for arms and ammunition training to Pakistan. He also made arrangements for their lodging and bought motor vehicles which were used while planting explosives.
8. Yakub Memon had illegal possession of explosives with a strong intent to attack and destroy lives.
9. He was first sentenced on July 27, 2007, by the Tada Court in Mumbai for the following crimes:
i) Criminal Conspiracy under Section 120 B of the Indian Penal Code.
ii) Aiding, abetting and facilitating in a terrorist Act under Section 3 of TADA.
iii) Illegal possession and transportation of arms and ammunition under Sections 5, 6 of TADA.
Subsequently, his appeals against the judgement were rejected by the Bombay High Court, the Supreme Court and even by Pranab Mukherjee. He has exhausted all legal options and will be hanged at Nagpur Central Jail on his birthday, July 30, 2015.
It’s really sad when a very qualified person gets involved in matters which should never have been allowed. Peer pressure perhaps, but his education should have made him realize the consequences.
Yakub Memon should have put his foot down when he realized his family members are indulging in illegal activities. Yakub Memon could have made use of his education for the betterment of uneducated youth in the community. This could have been his best contribution to the society. Alas!
CMA N.V.V.Chalapathi Rao
ACMA (India), CFE (USA), CMA (USA), CRMA (USA), CCFC (Canada), MIPA (Public Accountant-Australia), PGDCS, M.Com
Head of Internal Audit (Africa)
Wilmar Group- Internal Audit Department
Wilmar Africa Limited
Plot No: – 9, 11, 17, 18 Beach Road
PMB-169, Tema, Ghana
M: +233 266 082 383
“In a day, when you don’t come across any problems- You can be sure that you are travelling in a wrong path “.
— Swami Vivekananda.